Alfa Test, Timisoara, Romania
The City of Timisoara is a vibrant and cosmopolitan city which has much to offer, both to its residents and to its visitors.
Located in Western Romania, in the Banat region (60 km southeast from the western border with Hungary, 40 km northwest from the northern border with Serbia and around 650 km west of Bucharest), Timisoara is the capital of Timis county. No less than 315000 people call this city home.
Timisoara was first mentioned in history as Castrum Temesiensis in a decree of King Andrew II of Hungary in 1212. As a city, Timisoara was mentioned first in 1474.
Throughout its tumultuous history, this city rose from almost perishing in the rage of invading ottomans to become around 1712, the “little Vienna”.
For centuries, this name has been widely accepted mainly for two reasons: first, for the architectural style of the buildings, and second, for the German features given by the German clerks and artisans who came to live in Timisoara starting with 1700, after the town had been conquered by Prince Eugene of Savoy.
The city Center, especially the Victory Square has impressive buildings like the Metropolitan Church and the Opera House. The Theater of Timisoara is the only one in the country that houses three theaters: the Romanian, the German and the Hungarian one, which is an example of peaceful cohabitation and interethnic tolerance of this city. Union Square is a bohemian destination preferred by high-school teenagers, students and tourists who want to enjoy the view of old buildings, feed the pigeons or even listen to the bells of the Catholic Dome.
It is to be noted that over the years Timisoara was a city of national and European “premieres”: in 1716, the first brewery is established on Romanian territory; between 1727 and 1728, floating on the Bega channel is made possible; between 1735 and 1737, the first pharmacy and the first civil hospital were built, 24 years before the General Hospital from Vienna (Allgemeines Krankenhaus); in 1775, the first normal school in Romania opens; in 1847 the first operation from Romania is performed under anesthesia with ether; in 1854, telegraphy is introduced; in 1857, public gas lighting is introduced and in the same year, the city is linked to the European rail network; in 1884, on November 12, electric street lighting is introduced, a European premiere, four years after New York City; in 1899, the electric tram is operated in Timisoara, before many other important cities in Europe.
“Politehnica” University of Timisoara is one of the biggest and most well-known technical universities from Central and Eastern Europe. It was founded in 1920, at the end of the First World War, in order to respond to the need of engineers felt by the Romanian society at that time, within the economical re-launching it assumed.
At present, “Politehnica” University of Timisoara has 10 faculties and 4 independent departments and over 15 000 students. Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering, Automation and Computers, Electrical and Power Engineering are some of the most preferred faculties.
Therefore, today Timisoara is the center of the most important region in Romania for the Electronics Industry, in both Research & Development and Manufacturing. AEM, Alcatel-Lucent, Flextronics, Continental, Hella, Yazaki, are only few of the companies that are running operations here.
Distance between Timisoara and the main surrounding capitals:
- Timisoara – Belgrade (Serbia) 170 km
- Timisoara – Budapest (Hungary) 280 km
- Timisoara – Bucharest (Romania) 480 km
- Timisoara – Sofia (Bulgaria) 500 km
- Timisoara – Viena (Austria) 520 km
- Timisoara – Bratislava (Slovakia) 540 km
Timisoara International Airport provides flights at regular intervals to the main cities inland and abroad. For further information see www.aerotim.ro